FORT CHANWA LUNI, JODHPUR
Maharaja Jaswant Singh II Ruler of Jodhpur, Marwar from 1876-1895 A.D is remembered as a benevolent Monarch who steered the administration and economy of the state away from chaos and instability to a period of sustained development, security and justice for all. Amongst the prominent civil servants in this Ruler’s coterie of administrators, was a young Charan by the name of Kaviraj Muraridanji. He was an astute politician and a farsighted administrator. In 1894 Kaviraj Muraridanji received in Jagir the little known hamlet of Chanwa. There he build an exquisite little fortified haveli, today known as Heritage Hotel Fort Chanwa. In 1941, however the village of Chanwa became “Khalsa” (belonging to the State) as, ironically Muraridanji fell victim to a law introduced by him in the best interest of Marwar, whereby feudal estates lacking a male successor and without a recognized adoption in the life time of the deceased Jagirdar were automatically resumed by the state, after his death. In the year 1948 Chanwa was granted in “Jagir” to Maharaj Dalip Singh, the youngest son of Maharaja Umaid Singh. However over the years the fortress sank into years of neglect and decay. In 1992, inspired by a wave of successful restorations to heritage properties and encouraged by the burgeoning tourism traffic into western Rajasthan. Maharaj Dalip Singh, the 24th generation of direct descent from Rao Jodha, ruler and founder of Jodhpur in the 15th century decided to throw open the gates of Chanwa to these new ‘invaders”. Today Fort Chanwa restored to its pristine glory and charm by its proud owners Maharaj Dalip Singh & Rani Madhu Devi, warmly welcome travelers from distant lands offering princely hospitality in an inimitably enchanting setting- a Heritage Hotel in the finest of traditions.